TASKS AND FUNCTIONS
Of the Research institutions (RI) of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Uzbekistan
I. The main functions and tasks of the RI to solve
Research, scientific-production activities of the Academy of Sciences of The Republic of Uzbekistan is carried out in its research institutions (RI).
The main tasks and functions of the RI are directly related to their research, scientific-production and scientific-organization activities, including the following main areas:
- Carrying out the planned research and training on them relevant reports, including: - competitive projects within the state fundamental, applied and innovative research programs, - International research projects, implemented on the basis of grants provided by international programs, research foundations, universities and other interested organizations of foreign countries; - Contractual works performed under the orders of interested organizations of the Republic; - The most important scientific and technical programs running on target rulings of policymaking state bodies;
- Preparing and managing the highly skilled scientific staff and graduates of universities;
- Development of mechanisms for the integration of science, education and industry on relevant research areas;
- Ensuring the timely publication of received scientific results and registration of patents to intellectual property made by scientists of RI, protect them and the subsequent licensing and commercialization;
- The introduction and implementation of scientific products created by RI, including their export;
- Holding of international and national scientific conferences and provide participation of RI staff in the work of profiling conferences as well as exhibitions, innovation fairs with relevant exhibits reflecting the results of scientific research and created innovative technologies and new scientific products of RI;
- Development and modernization of material-technical base and instrumentation of research work, maintenance and effective use of unique scientific facilities and equipment of RI;
- Development of international scientific ties with foreign research institutions, research centers and universities on research profile;
- Implementation of other work on the profile of the main activities of the RI.
RI is carried out scientific and organizational and production activities in coordination with service of vice-president of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan, supervising related science direction and coordinating RI of given scientific profile.
Head of RI on the proposal of the vice-president in charge is appointed by the president of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Uzbekistan from among eminent scientists - doctors, in accordance with current legislation and established procedure, on the contract base for a period of five years. Director of the RI is personally responsible for the activity of RI, led by him. Rights and duties of the Director of the RI determined in accordance with the Charter of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Uzbekistan and the Charter of RI.
Deputy Director of the RI on Science (Dr. or PhD), Scientific Secretary (Dr. or PhD) are appointed by the director of the RI in consultation with the supervising vice-president of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan. Rights and duties of the Deputy Director on Research and Scientific Secretary of the RI are determined by its Director in accordance with the Charter of the RI.
Head of the research unit (department, laboratory, sector, research team [group]) is usually appointed by the director from among the doctors (PhD) of Sciences, held a competition in the RI.
Academic Council, composed of leading scientists of the RI, heads of laboratories (departments) and heads of the teams carrying out research projects is formed at the director of the RI. The Academic Council is the supreme collegial governing and expert advisory body and acts on the basis of the Charter of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan and the Charter of the Council approved by the director of the RI.
According to the post, director of the RI is the Chairman of the Academic Council of the RI, which is also a member of the General Meeting of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan and the Board of Directors of RI of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan. Director of RI creates the necessary conditions to ensure a regular and effective activity of the Scientific Council of the RI and carry out general management and control over its work. The scientific secretary of the RI is the Secretary of the Scientific Council.
II. Economic fundamentals of RI activities
The economic basis of activity of the Academy of Sciences and its RI is made up by the fixed assets transferred by the state for permanent use and disposal of all RI included in its composition, property created by the Academy and intellectual property products as well as other forms of ownership.
It can’t be carried out disposal or restructuring of fixed assets and other property of the Academy without the consent of the Academy of Sciences or in cases of conflict to the current legislation.
Activities of the RI of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan is based on the state budget provided in the form of competitive grants for the implementation of research projects, and targeted funds for the maintenance of unique scientific facilities of RI and to fulfill important public priority research, contributing to the development of the most important types of industries as well as extra-budgetary funds brought in the prescribed manner (internal and external investments, revenues from the sale of industrial products and intellectual property, grants for the implementation of international scientific programs and competitive projects, grant aid of sponsors in the framework of scientific and technical assistance, and others). Funds allocated from the state budget for scientific research is brought by the Academy of Sciences directly to its RI.
Disbursement of funds is carried out by RI independently within the cost estimates approved in the established order, and in accordance with the current legislation.
RI, as well as self-supporting institutions and associations of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan carry out their activities in accordance with the current legislation, the Charter of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan and their Charters approved by Hay’at of Uzbek Academy of Sciences.
RI and other organizations of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan have the right to be founders and members of joint stock companies and other economic entities, companies (partnerships) on the basis of the current legislation of the Republic of Uzbekistan. They are legal entities possessing and using the income generated from their activities and from the sale of the research results, scientific, technical and advertising-commercial services and others in domestic and foreign markets.
RI and other organizations of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan have the right to carry out a variety of activities at the expense of extra-budgetary resources, not contradicting the legislation in accordance with their Charters.
Reports on the results of government funded research, in compliance with the rules of copyright of scholars and RI of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Uzbekistan, are transmitted to the Committee for Coordination of Science and Technology Development under the Cabinet of Ministers of Uzbekistan.
Researchers and specialists of the RI of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan are the entities which hold the copyright on intellectual property created in these RI based on current legislation and the established order.
RI, organizations and other units of the Academy of Sciences have the right of ownership, use, disposal of property and intellectual property (results of scientific research, "know-how", experimental design developments, discoveries, industrial designs, achievement of breeding, seed production, etc.), created in these institutions, on the basis of current legislation and the established order.
III. Functions and powers of the Academic Council of RI
The Academic Council of RI provides the solving of following tasks:
- Examines, approves and recommends for approval to the Director The Charter of RI, relevant regulations, instructions and other normative documents related to the activities of research institutions;
- Consider issues and make proposals on the establishment, reorganization or liquidation of the scientific departments (laboratories, departments, sectors, etc.), included in the structure of the RI;
- Discusses prospective and current scientific and organizational issues related to the RI activities, and adopt recommendations on them;
- Discusses and defines the strategic directions of scientific research, scientific and technical issues and develop proposals for the formation and development priorities and future directions of the respective branches of science in the profile of RI;
- Consider and recommend for approval to the Director of the RI perspective and annual plans of research on scientific projects;
- Hear and recommend for approval to the Director the reports on the scientific and organizational and financial-economic activity of RI and its scientific units in the reporting period as well as make proposals on sources of formation of the RI budget for the next fiscal year;
- Holding discussions, scientific expertise and selection of projects of scientific research, and encourages them to participate in a competition on the major state scientific and scientific-technical programs of fundamental and applied research and innovations;
- Monitors the progress and outcome of fundamental, applied and innovative projects and international research projects, recommends reports on them for approval and / or receives the other relevant decisions on them;
- Nominates candidates for the election of the leading scientists for the actual members (academicians) and foreign members of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan, and for the election of the members of the Academy of Sciences of foreign countries, international scientific societies, associations and unions; and also presents scientific employees of RI for awarding academic titles of professor and senior researcher and puts forward candidates for election to the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan, and the most significant research works on competition of state prizes in science, technology, literature, art and architecture of Uzbekistan;
- Approves the list of relevant specialties and topics of dissertation research to applicants for doctorate, holds reception for training and annual certification of senior researchers - applicants;
- Consider issues and make recommendations on the development of mutually beneficial cooperation with the ministries, state committees, agencies, foundations, corporations, associations, industry research institutions, universities, academic lyceums, scientific and technical societies, creative unions, firms, enterprises and organizations of the republic;
- Considers and justifies proposals for the development of international scientific relations of RI, carrying out scientific research in the international scientific grants and make appropriate recommendations and submission to the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan and interested organizations;
- Develop proposals for the protection of intellectual property of research results created in the RI and use them in the activities of research institutions;
- Considers and recommends the composition of the members of the specialized councils for defending theses for profiling RI specialties for submission to the Higher attestation commission of The Republic of Uzbekistan;
- Recommends the representatives of RI to participate in the scientific-technical expert scientific councils of HAC of The Republic of Uzbekistan;
- Discusses the proposals and recommends appropriate measures to be included in the annual plans of scientific, technical conferences and other scientific forums on problems being developed in research institutions;
- Considers the proposals and recommends to the publication the scientific works of scientists (monographs, textbooks and manuals, thematic collections of scientific works, bio-bibliography of famous scientists, materials and abstracts of reports of scientific conferences, symposia, congresses and other scientific meetings conducted by RI);
- Provides methodological leadership of the work of Council of young scientists of RI;
- Develop proposals for the study of the history of the profiling RI on branch of science in the country, as well as proposals to inform the public about achievements of scientists;
- If necessary, solve other matters related to the activities of RI as well, and makes relevant proposals to the Director of the RI and Hay’at of Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Uzbekistan;
- Makes appropriate decisions on the discussed issues.
Commissions and expert groups, including the participation of invited scientists and experts from other organizations, institutions and universities, are organized at RI Academic Council, if necessary.