I. General Provisions
1. Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Uzbekistan (hereinafter referred to as Academy) is the highest scientific organization in the country, that is carrying out fundamental, applied and innovative research (hereinafter – research or research investigations) in science, technology, culture and education, and providing effective management and coordination of scientific research and timely introduction of the achievements of science and high technologies in practice helps to improve the intellectual, economic and spiritual potential of the state.
It unites academicians and foreign members of the Academy of Sciences, as well as research fellows and specialists working in its institutions.
The Academy is financed by state budgetary and extrabudgetary funds attracted and invested in the prescribed manner.
2. The activities of the Academy of the Republic of Uzbekistan are performed in accordance with the Constitution and laws of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Decrees, Resolutions and Orders of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Decrees, Resolutions and Orders of the Cabinet of Ministers of Uzbekistan and the present Statute.
3. Based on the requirements of socio-economic, spiritual and educational development of Uzbekistan, Academy defines its priorities and perspective research trends, develops advanced research programs and implements them in life, deals with organizational and structural issues of institutions within jurisdiction of the Academy to achieve this goal.
4. The main objectives of the Academy are as follows:
- ensure the implementation of governmental policies in the field of science and technology;
- define development strategies for promising research trends for research investigations and advanced technologies for promotion of the progress of society and the state;
- pursue research in the field of natural, technical, medical, social and human sciences contributing to the socio-economic, scientific-technical, spiritual and educational development of the society;
- study and exploration of development problems of nature, man and society, development of nations and national cultures, state and nationality relations, issues of education and teaching, development of proposals for resolving problems related to these areas on the basis of scientific results;
- on the basis of current legislation patenting of established in the Academy and being created "know-how" of intellectual property, protection and employment of them in its activities;
- development of new equipment, modern technologies and principles of their practical use;
- ensure the implementation in practice of modern mechanisms for the effective use of intellectual property and research results;
- promote knowledge-based sectors of the national economy, generalization and use of the achievements of world science and technology, attraction of foreign and domestic investments in research institutions and their rational use;
- carry out work in accordance with the requirements of the National Program for Training Specialists aimed at achieving specific objectives: provision of modern textbooks, educational guides, teaching aids and educational technologies and teaching technologies;
- carry out activities of excellence in training specialists that meet the requirements of the National Program for Training Specialists in collaboration with general educational institutions;
- close cooperation with higher education institutions promoting them in research, training of highly qualified Master’s degree holders in fields of science with use of advanced scientific and technological base of the Academy;
- carrying out work on preparation of highly qualified scientific personnel and improvement in their qualification, and create favorable conditions for creative activity of scientists;
- establish and extend international scientific and technological co-operation with renowned research centers and scientific institutes, science academies in developed countries;
- publishing activities for publication of scientific works of scientists and research teams ensuring constant publishing and efficiency of their periodicals;
- institution of medals and awards of the Academy of the Republic of Uzbekistan in honor of outstanding scientists and awarding medals and awards to scientists and creative teams for outstanding scientific and technological attainments;
- dissemination of scientific knowledge, increasing concern about the prestige and the role of science and education in society, social protection and rights of researchers.
5. In order to carry out its main tasks the Academy maintains the following:
- in accordance with established procedure creates, reorganizes and liquidates research institutions, their affiliated branches and other auxiliary support organizations within its structure;
- developing mutually beneficial research cooperation with sectorial research institutions, academic lyceums, higher educational institutions (above all, with the Master's degree program branches), state committees, ministries and agencies, departments, corporations, concerns, associations, academic, scientific and technical societies, creative unions, firms associations, enterprises and organizations;
- organizes and forms the research councils, societies and other associations on the most important areas and trends of research, the capabilities of these groups and agencies are to be widely and effectively used for the development of science;
- arranges competitions on important scientific and technical issues, conducting organizational activities to enhance and improve the scientific aspects of advanced projects and their implementation in practice;
- provides timely information support of developed research projects and creates favorable conditions for that;
- organizes the scientific, and science-technical conferences, seminars and symposia on problems relevant to the progress of the republic, carries out scientific activities in honor of the great thinkers, famous scientists, workers of science and culture.
6. Academy annually submits a report on its activities to the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
II. Structure of the Uzbek Academy
7. Academy of Science is formed on scientific branch-wise and territorial principles.
8. The Academy includes the administrative apparatus, regional branches, scientific-research institutions (scientific and production associations, scientific-research institutes, scientific and training center, museums, botanical gardens, design engineering bureaus, experimental production plants, and other research establishments), a publishing house "Fan" and a printing office, fundamental library, hotel, archives and journal editorial offices, as well as cultural-educating, therapeutic and economic-and-logistic services subdivisions.
9. A consultative organ, the Council of Directors of research institutes of the Academy under the president of the Academy of Sciences, is formed on a pro bono basis.
This Council is a deliberative body coordinating the activities of research institutions in conformity with the reforms implemented in the country.
Activity of the Council is defined by this Statute and the Regulations approved by the General Assembly of the Academy of Sciences.
10. Scientific Councils under Vice-President of the Academy as per branches of science are formed on a pro-bono basis.
Scientific Councils are consultative organs that serve to directly raise the authority of science in our country in the world, identifying the research priorities according to the country needs and aimed at the society's progress, assess the relevance and efficiency of research works carried out on these trends at the highest standards of world science, and function as leading consulting-and-expert research teams.
The structure of Scientific Councils includes academicians of the Academy of Sciences, representatives of research institutions (including sectorial research institutions) and higher educational institutions, as well as high-qualified specialists with great professional experience, regardless the academic title and degrees.
Scientific Councils under Vice-Presidents function on the basis of the present Statute and the Regulations approved by the Hayat of the Academy of Sciences.
11. The post of a Vice-President for International Relations is established in the administrative apparatus of the Academy of Sciences.
Vice President for International Relations shall provide the development of international scientific and technological cooperation, ensure greater involvement of foreign investments in science.
12. Administrative Services consisting of experts and highly qualified professionals are formed under the Chief Scientific Secretary and Vice Presidents.
13. The Chief of Administrative Services is responsible for ensuring the economic needs of the administrative apparatus of the Academy of Sciences, as well as issues related to social support to academicians.
The activities of the Chief of Administrative Services and subdivisions subordinate to him shall be determined by this Statute and the Regulations approved by the Hayat of the Academy of Sciences.
14. Under the Academy and its institutions in the prescribed manner may be established firms, small companies and joint ventures, economic associations and partnership companies, integrating institutions and enterprises with different ownership forms, as well as private and nonprofit agencies, and research supporting funds.
15. Academy of Sciences, its regional branches, self-governed scientific and production associations, research institutions and organizations made equivalent to them have the status of legal entities.
Academy and its institutions under existing legislation carry out foreign trade activities, yet they are authorized to open bank accounts in national currency and foreign exchanges.
Legal Address of the Academy of Sciences:
70, Academician Yakhyo Gulyamov Str., 100047, Tashkent,
III. General Assembly of the Academy
of the Republic of Uzbekistan
16. The supreme body of the Academy of the Republic of Uzbekistan is the General Assembly, consisting of academics and directors of research institutions.
17. Members of the General Assembly of the Academy are entitled equal rights in taking decisions on all the considered issues of the General Assembly.
18. General Assembly of the Academy convened its Hayat on major issues of science and the activities of the Academy no less than once a year.
19. The main tasks of the General Assembly shall include:
- consideration of priorities and perspectives for the development of science and respective draft scientific programs and taking necessary decisions on them;
- of academicians and foreign members of Academy;
- election of the President of Academy, Vice-President and Chief Scientific Secretary, and removal them from their posts;
- the adoption and amending of the Statute and the structure of Academy, and submission for approval to the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan;
- approval of the standard Charter for research institutions;
- consideration and approval of the Hayat reports and scientific papers of the Academy of Sciences;
- establishment of medals and prizes in honor of outstanding scientists of the Academy and awarding them to leading scientists and research teams in accordance with established procedure;
- in accordance with established order, consideration of the establishment of research institutions, their restructuring and termination of their activities;
- Academy has the right to be an initiator in the legislative field in the process of performing its tasks to deal with urgent and priority issues;
- as circumstances may require, shall be authorized and legally competent to address other issues related to the activities of Academy.
20. The Extraordinary General Assembly may be convened at the suggestion of no less than one-third of the academicians of the Academy and Directors of research institutions, as well as at the suggestions of regional branches to discuss the agenda proposed by them.
21. The invitees of the Hayat of Academy may participate and address a meeting according to the agenda of the General Assembly.
22. The General Assembly is competent and its decisions shall be considered as adopted, if the meeting is attended by no less than two-thirds of the representative list of members of the General Assembly of the Academy, no less than two-thirds of the participants gave vote for decisions.
23. The Hayat of Academy has the right by its special decision to leave out of account the voting members of the General Assembly being in overseas temporary duty trips and those absent for health reasons.
24. Decisions of the General Assembly are binding on all organizations, members and employees of the Academy of Sciences.
IV. Academicians of the Academy and Foreign Members
25. The list of members of Academy consists of academicians and foreign members.
26. Academicians of Academy and Foreign Members are elected for the term of life.
27. Academicians of Academy may be elected scholars, citizens of the Republic of Uzbekistan under the age of 65 years old from among the Doctors of Sciences who have contributed to science with the research works that meet the requirements of international standards, have established scientific schools recognized by the scientific community, their scientific achievements promote the development and enhancement of intellectual and economic potential of the country.
28. A Foreign Member of Academy is elected from among foreign citizens, whose scientific achievements have had a positive impact on the global and domestic science, national economy and culture of the Republic of Uzbekistan, who have made a significant contribution to international cooperation, in the cause of peace, stability and socio-economic progress.
29. Elections to membership in Academy are held pursuant to the present Statute and the Electoral Regulations approved by the Hayat of the Academy of Sciences.
V. Rights and duties of academicians of the Academy
30. Duties of academicians of the Academy shall include:
- taking part in scientific research, forming their perspective and advanced trends and being responsible for the high level of development of a particular branch of science, in which academicians are engaged and were elected to membership in Academy;
- being directly involved in the preparation of highly qualified scientists and specialists, as well as in the development of advanced scientific schools;
- submitting to the Academy the annual report on scientific and organizational activities, including listing of research papers, personal achievements in carrying out the research, training highly qualified scientific personnel, as well as proposals and recommendations on the development of a particular branch of science, in which academicians are engaged and were elected to membership in Academy;
- execution of orders and assignments of the Hayat of Academy, President of Academy, Vice-President and Chief Scientific Secretary, active participation in work of the General Assembly of Academy.
31. The rights of Academicians of Academy include:
- carrying out research work in scientific institutions of Academy;
- taking scientific positions without going through turnover rate on a competitive basis in scientific institutions of the Academy;
- publishing their research papers;
- submitting to the Hayat of Academy and the General Assembly of Academy scientific and organizational issues and to participate in their discussion;
- nominating candidates to membership in Academy in the prescribed manner;
- participating in the activities of Scientific Councils under Vice-Presidents;
- submitting proposals to form permanent Scientific Councils under Vice-Presidents in important areas of science. Academicians of Academy shall receive a monthly academician’s fee or remuneration for the academic rank and get fringe benefits;
In the case of the alteration of citizenship of Uzbekistan for citizenship of another country Academicians of Academy in due course become part of the Foreign Members of Academy.
Foreign Members of Academy have all the rights of Full Members of Academy, except for their election in the leadership organs of the Academy, voting in the election of members of Academy and receiving academician’s fee or remuneration for the academic title.
VI. Procedure for election of Academicians and Foreign Members
of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Uzbekistan
32. Vacancies and newly opened membership vacancies for the election of new members of the Academy, as well as the scheduling of elections shall be determined by the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan upon the recommendation of the Hayat of Academy with due consideration of the needs of different areas of science.
Announcement of the Hayat of Academy of the electoral process in the Academy shall be published in the national press, no later than two months before the election.
33. Foreign Members of Academy shall be elected as advised by the Hayat by open vote at the General Assembly of Academy.
34. The right to nominate candidates to the Academy with respect to a branch of study specified in publication is conferred to members of Academy, Scientific Councils of scientific research institutions and higher educational establishments.
35. Nomination of candidates by research institutions, higher educational establishments is accepted at meetings of Scientific (Scientific and Technical) Councils by secret ballot voting. The nominees are regarded those candidates who secure at least 50% of votes. In voting should be involved at least two-thirds of the members of the Council.
Institutions have nominated candidates in academics, in the prescribed manner shall submit the documents describing the scientific and scientific-organizational activity of the candidates for registration in the Department of Scientific Personnel of Academy.
36. The Hayat of Academy shall carry out an expertise of the papers of candidates and determine conformity or nonconformity between the direction of their research activities and declared specialty. A List of candidates eligible for election shall be published in the national press, no later than 20 days before the election.
Materials of the scientific and organizational activity of the candidates announced in the press shall be distributed to members of the General Assembly by the Hayat of Academy.
37. Election of academicians of Academy shall be held by secret or open ballot by the decision of the General Assembly of Academy.
On the voting for full members, all members of the General Assembly shall have the right to vote. The voting shall involve at least two-thirds of the list of representatives of members of the General Assembly of Academy.
38. Candidates shall be regarded as elected, if no less than two thirds of the voting members of the General Assembly gave votes for them.
39. If none of the candidates in primary elections had received the number of votes needed for election, the General Assembly is authorized to conduct a second voting up to three rounds, inclusive. Subsequent rounds of voting are allowed those candidates who receive one-third or more voices of persons who took part in voting.
The third ballot shall be allowed for the candidate who receives the maximum number of votes in the second round of voting.
40. The Counting Commission for holding elections shall be elected by the General Assembly of Academy. Summarizing the results of the election, the Counting Commission shall prepare a report. The report of the Counting Commission shall be approved by the General Assembly.
41. The List of new members elected to the Academy of the Republic of Uzbekistan shall be published in the national press.
VII. The election procedure of the Hayat of Academy and its members
42. The Hayat of Academy is an organization-administrative authority, implementing all the tasks entrusted to the Academy, and directly supervises and manages the activities of research institutions that are included in its structure.
The Hayat of Academy consists of President, four Vice-Presidents (three of them in the fields of sciences and one in International Relations), Chief Scientific Secretary, and Chairmen of Regional Branches.
43. Nominated candidates for the post of President of Academy shall be discussed at the Board of Directors of research institutions on a competitive basis from among academics. An acceptable candidate shall be recommended to the General Assembly of Academy. President of Academy shall be elected by the General Assembly of Academy by open vote.
If the voting resulted in that the proposed candidate fails to receive a majority of votes of the General Assembly, the Chairman of the Board of Directors of research institutions shall organize the second (final) round of voting. In this case, it holds the necessary consultations with members of the General Assembly and the approving authority, and then shall recommend the most worthy candidate for election by the General Meeting. The General Assembly of the Academy calls for the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan for approval of the elected candidate for President of the Academy of Sciences.
44. Vice-President and Chief Scientific Secretary shall be elected upon the recommendation of the President of Academy and after endorsement by the Board of Directors of research institutions by open vote at the General Assembly from among the scientists who have made a significant contribution to the development of science and technology, having special merits in promoting and implementing of scientific and technical achievements, training of scientists and highly qualified specialists.
45. Chairman of Karakalpak and other regional branches of Academy shall be appointed by the President of Academy from among the scientists who fully conform to requirements of chairmanship.
46. The President, Vice-Presidents, Chief Academic Secretary of Academy shall be elected for five years, and cannot be elected more than two consecutive terms.
47. The Hayat of Academy shall report on its activities to the General Meeting.
48. The President of Academy shall:
- provide overall management of Academy, implement scientific strategy for the socio-economic, intellectual and spiritual development of Uzbekistan, expeditiously deal with current issues;
- be personally responsible for the situation in the Academy before the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the Cabinet of Ministers and the General Assembly of Academy;
- represent the Academy to the highest state authorities and on the international arena, defend its interests;
- approve the functional duties for administrative personnel of Academy and monitors their implementation on the part of directing officials;
- create the conditions necessary for the Council of Directors of research institutions under the President of Academy, consider the proposals and recommendations of the Council;
- ensure the elimination of deficiencies that impede the development and effectiveness of activities of Academy, development of modern technologies and research development;
- monitor the implementation of the planned research investigations, as well as provide the timely practical application of science and new technologies;
- provide fruitful collaboration between research institutions and higher educational establishments and academic lyceums;
- supervise the activities of the publishing house "Fan" and publications of the Academy of Sciences;
- administer the activities on scientific personnel training and improvement of their professional qualification;
- appoint and dismiss from office in accordance with active legislation and in the prescribed manner Chairmans of the regional branches of Academy, Heads of research institutions, as well as on the contract basis appoint the Heads of scientific support and business departments, and dismiss them from their posts;
- provide a creative atmosphere in academic institutions for democratization of activities of researchers and provide effective conditions for their scientific work;
- perform functions of the ultimate authority to manage funds of Academy and supervise the correctness of their use.
By orders and instructions issued by the President of Academy, the orders are issued, entered in a register, and brought to notification agent, instructive letters are written.
VIII. Regional Branches of the Academy of Sciences of the
Republic of Uzbekistan
49. Regional branches of the Academy are established with the aim of development of science and scientific and technological potential in particular regions of the Republic of Uzbekistan. Regional branches are established, reorganized and liquidated by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Hayat of Academy.
50. Regional Branches of the Academy in their activity are subordinate directly to the President of Academy. The management of the institutions subordinated to the regional branches is exercised by a Chairman of the Department, his/her Deputy-Chairman and Chief Scientific Secretary.
51. Deputy-Chairman and Chief Scientific Secretary of the regional branch shall be approved by the President of the Academy upon the presentation of the Chairman of the Regional Branch of Academy.
Chairmen of regional branches provide follow-up implementing of decisions by the General Assembly and the Hayat, as well as orders by the President of Academy.
52. Regional branches are functioning in accordance with the present Statutes and Charters of Regional Branches, approved by the Hayat of Academy.
IX. Karakalpak Branch of the Academy of Sciences of the
Republic of Uzbekistan
53. The Karakalpak Branch carries out its activities in accordance with the present Statutes, the Charter of the Karakalpak Branch and is subordinate directly to the President of Academy.
Scientific supervision over institutions of the Karakalpak Branch is exercised by its Hayat. It is composed of Chairman, Deputy Chairman and Chief Scientific Secretary.
54. Deputy Chairman and Chief Scientific Secretary of the Karakalpak Branch of Academy are approved by the President of Academy upon presentation of the Chairman of the Karakalpak Branch for a term of 5 years.
The Karakalpak Branch holds panel discussion concerning the candidates for vacancies of academics allotted to the Branch and forwards recommendations for election in the field study to the President of Academy.
The Hayat of the Karakalpak Branch shall ensure implementing of decisions of the General Assembly and the Hayat of Academy, the General Meeting of the Branch, as well as the orders of President of Academy.
The Hayat of the Karakalpak Branch in its activities is subordinate to the Hayat of Academy.
55. The Charter of the Karakalpak Branch is approved by the Hayat of Academy.
X. Research institutions of Academy
56. Research-and-development and scientific-and-production activities of Academy are accomplished in its research institutions.
57. A research institution shall exercise its scientific and organizational activities in coordination with a Vice-President’s service of the relevant area of science. The main objective of a Vice-President is to effectively assist and coordinate the activities of a research institution.
58. Head of research institution upon the presentation of a supervisory Vice-President is appointed by the President of Academy from among eminent scientists – Doctors of Sciences, in accordance the existing laws and in the prescribed manner on the contract basis for the term of five years.
Director of a research institution shall be personally responsible for the activities of a scientific establishment in his charge.
59. Deputy Director of a research Institution responsible for research (Doctor or Candidate of Sciences), the Scientific Secretary (Doctor or Candidate of Sciences) endorsed by the supervising Vice President shall be appointed by Director of a research institution.
Rights and duties of Deputy Director responsible for research and the Scientific Secretary shall be determined by the Director in accordance with the Charter of a research institution.
Head of a scientific-research subdivision (department, laboratory research institution) is usually appointed as Director of the list of the Doctors having been selected from among other competition candidates at the scientific council of scientific and research institution.
60. A Council of heads of laboratories (departments) is formed under the director of a research institution. The Council as a consultative organ works on the basis of the present Statutes and the Charter approved by the Director of a research institution.
61. Research institutions function on the basis of this Statutes and their own Charters, approved by the Hayat of Academy.
XI. The economic basis of Academy
62. The economic basis of Academy is composed of the fixed assets transferred by the state for permanent use and disposal by all institutions included in its structure, property created by the Academy and production of intellectual property, as well as other forms of property.
Alienation or reorganization of assets and other property of Academy shall not be held without the consent of the Academy or in cases of being contrary to or infringing the current legislation.
63. The Academy activity is based on the state budget and attracted and invested in the prescribed manner of extrabudgetary funds (internal and external investments, proceeds from the sale of industrial products and intellectual property goods, non-repayable aid of sponsors, etc.).
Allocated from the state budget funds for research are brought by the Academy directly to its institutions.
64. Application of funds is accomplished by research institutions on their own account within the limits of duly approved expenditure estimates in accordance with applicable legislation and the present Statutes.
65. Self-financing establishments, associations, research institutions and organizations of Academy shall operate in accordance with applicable legislation and the present Statutes.
66. Academy, its establishments and agencies on the basis of current legislation of the Republic of Uzbekistan shall have the right to be founders and members of joint stock companies and other business associations, firms (partnership companies). They are legal entities possessing and using the income from this activity and sales in domestic and international markets the outcomes of research projects, scientific, technical, and advertising-and-commercial services.
Organizations and institutions of Academy shall have the right to carry out various activities at the expense of extra-budgetary funds, consistent with the legislation in accordance with their Charters.
67. Reports or statements of operating results on state-funded research projects, with observance of norms for author's rights protection of scientists and research institutes of Academy, shall be submitted to the Committee for Coordination of Science and Technology Development under the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
68. Scientific officers and specialists of research institutions of Academy are considered the subjects possessing the right of authorship for intellectual property created by these organizations on the basis of current legislation and the established order.
Institutions, organizations and other entities of Academy on the basis of existing legislation and in accordance with established order have the right to possession, use, disposal of property and intellectual property objects (the outcomes of scientific research, scientifical data and practical information, also called "know-how" technology, pilot-engineering development projects, discoveries, industrial designs , achievements in selective breeding and seed farming programs, etc.) created in these institutions.
69. Academy at the expense of own resources and part of the income derived from business and entrepreneurial activities of their institutions, and other attracted funds may establish special financial and innovation funds (funds of scientific, technological and social development, social protection of scientists and other funds). The order of formation and application of such funds is performed in accordance with special Regulation formulated by Academy and approved by the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
XII. Specific Rights of Academy
70. Academy has the right to keep manuscripts and archives of scientists, writers, art and culture workers, as well as archival and other materials of their institutions being of value to the history of science.
71. Academy has the right to exchange printed publications with research institutions, higher educational establishments, libraries, museums, and publishing houses in other countries.
XIII. The force of the Statutes of Academy and amendment procedure
72. The Statutes of Academy shall be adopted by the General Assembly of Academy and approved by the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan. The Statutes of Academy shall go into effect from the date of its approval.
73. The Statutes of Academy shall be amended by the Resolution of the General Assembly of Academy. These amendments shall be approved by the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan